Zurriat


My name is Zurriat Qureshi and I teach at Sojhero Pilot School, Sagyoon. I have been through very difficult times during my schooling. Since I started my primary education I have faced opposition from my relatives and community. When I turned 9 years old, I was very interested in studying further. My father refused to allow me to continue my schooling. He agreed to consent on one condition--I continue helping him look after the livestock till noon everyday. Permission to continue with my education was met with great opposition from our neighbors and community. So, after completing class five, I had to leave the school. For the next two years I remained very upset especially since I was exposed to programs on the radio and TV talking about the advantages of education. My interest and desire for education grew over this time, and I took to reading a book called 'lengh munjha looh' which was about a girl who struggles to achieve her goal in life. She too faced many difficulties but eventually succeeded. The story motivated me into believing that death would be a better alternative to a dehumanized life. I told my father that I would commit suicide if he didn't allow me to study further. My father realized how keen I was and granted me permission to continue my schooling. This completely enraged my community. People made fun of us, and I was occasionally teased on my way to school. They tried everything possible to make it difficult for my family and finally ostracized us, cutting off all relations. Some powerful people of the community even came to my father and threatened him. They told him educating girls was against our culture and makes young girls choose who they want to marry. When all this didn't work they finally suggested poisoning me so that I would die rather than go to school. I had decided that if the community wanted to kill me, they could go ahead. I was not going to give up education, for death is better than an illiterate life.

During all that time I felt that everyone hated me, which hurt me a lot. I used to tell myself that our God and Prophet said that receiving education was an obligation on every Muslim man and woman. I wondered what kind of religion these people followed. Time passed and when I was in class eight, a post of LHW (Lady Health Worker) was announced. My father advised me to apply for the position and I was selected. I continued to study while I worked. It was during that time that the behavior of my community changed. They realized that by acquiring education, girls could contribute to the income of the family. They realized that without training, one could not even inject a syringe into a patient, as I was able to do.

In 2000, I started to teach in a school that was opened with the support of DIL. The same people who objected to my receiving an education are now sending their girls to be taught by me. Through my hard work I have succeeded in not only getting where I wanted to be but also in changing the attitudes and beliefs of my community. Now everyone respects me and it makes me happy that I am able to educate their children despite how they felt about me previously. As a schoolteacher I am confident that I can educate these girls and train them to be strong so that they too are able to resist social and cultural pressures and fulfill their dreams.

----- Zurriat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Problem of Poor Reading Skills

Literacy and Adults